Frequently Asked Questions
You can find answers below to some of our frequently asked questions.
Customer Experience FAQs
1. How do I login to Online Services or Smarter Touch?
Under the navigation bar on our Home Page, select Services then either Online Services or Smarter Touch.
2. How do I find the latest EAL price list?
You will need access to Smarter Touch to obtain the price list however once logged in, the price list is available to download under the documents tab.
3. Why does it say password locked or authentication failed when I try to login to Online Services?
Authentication failed and password locked mean that you have entered your password too many times. A Centre Coordinator account will automatically unlock after two (2) hours and a sub user account will unlock in twenty (20) minutes.
4. How can I obtain an electronic certificate?
We offer an e-Certificate service to all EAL recognised centres.
For more information on this please see the following link: e-Certificates.
5. Where do I locate paper-based registration and certification forms?
All learner registrations and certifications are processed via our Online Services system however in circumstances where we require a paper-based form you can download these from our Document Library.
6. How do I provide feedback?
Our Feedback and Complaints form can be downloaded from our Document Library.
7. How do I validate a learner certificate?
You can validate an EAL certificate by using our online tool please see the following link: Certificate Checker.
8. How do I download unit publications for EAL qualifications?
You will need access to Online Services to obtain EAL publications. However once logged in, the qualification materials can be downloaded from the 'Publication' tab.
9. How does my qualification compare with other UK qualifications?
We have developed a UK Qualification Comparison chart, if you have any further questions; please contact our Customer Experience Team.
10. How does my qualification compare overseas?
In order to compare worldwide qualifications not completed through EAL please contact, The National Recognition Information Centre for the United Kingdom (NARIC) using the details below:
Phone: +44 (0)871 330 7033
11. How do I apply for a record search?
We hold records for EAL, Engineering Industry Training Board (EITB) and Engineering Manufacturing Training Association (EMTA) therefore if you have completed your qualifications through one of the aforementioned organisations then we may be able to locate your records. Please be aware that we retain records of achievement for 7 years and although we will respond as accurately as we can any achievements prior to this cannot be guaranteed to be confirmed. If you require confirmation of your records and do not have a certificate number, please complete an application for a Record Search.
12. How do I apply for a replacement certificate?
If you have a certificate number, you will need to complete an application for a Replacement Certificate. If you do not have a certificate number, please complete an application for a Record Search.
13. How do I amend my personal details on a certificate?
View our Certificate Policy for further details.
14. How do I find an EAL approved centre near me?
Visit our Find a Centre page for further details.
15. How do I find a password for a locked assessment?
You will need to be approved to deliver the qualification in order to obtain a password. Once approved, please contact us with your centre number and we will be able to assist you further.
16. Unable to find the answer to your question?
Please contact us if you are unable to find your answer.
1. I am trying to schedule a candidate for an online exam but they are not showing in the available candidate list
Check that your candidate has been registered at least 24 hours in advance and for the appropriate qualification. If you are still experiencing problems, contact email@example.com.
2. How do I schedule an exam?
There is guidance in the 'Exam System User Guide' and our video tutorials, both of which can be found on our online services and the home page of SecureAssess.
3. My centre is not showing when I try to schedule an exam
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. I am trying to schedule an online exam but the date I want is greyed out
Exams can only be booked up-to 42 days in advance. If you're experiencing difficulties scheduling an exam, contact email@example.com.
5. I would like to edit the time or date of my scheduled exams
If the exam status shows as 'Editable', click 'Edit Exam'. If it is showing as 'Locked' you will need to find the exam on the Invigilation tab and void it. You can then reschedule it for the correct time/date.
6. What is the difference between a Keycode and a PIN number?
The Keycode is the 8 digit code that links the candidate to the exam. This is automatically generated for you. The PIN is an optional 4 digits that can be added to allow the candidate to unlock the exam instead of the invigilator.
7. I want to set a PIN for an exam that I have scheduled but the exam is not showing in the Invigilation tab of SecureAssess
PINs can only be added 5 days before the date of the exam, and can only be added from the invigilation screen. Practice exams do not require a pin number.
8. Where can I find your Reasonable Adjustments & Special Considerations Policy?
This is available in the 'Documents' section of SmarterTouch.
9. I have had a reasonable adjustment approved for extra time, how do I apply this?
You will need to contact the EAL Exams Team with the relevant exam information and Smarter Touch form number for this to be implemented. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
10. I am getting the message "Invalid Keycode"
Check the Keycode is being entered correctly. If it is please check your proxy server, firewall and antivirus settings to ensure the SecureClient software isn't being blocked.
11. I am getting the message "Exam locked by Invigilator"
The invigilator will need to go online to the Invigilation tab and click 'Unlock' to start the exam.
12. When trying to access the exams system in Online Services I am getting the message "User validation failed"
When becoming a new centre or changing your password, it may take up to 24 hours to update the exams system.
13. My candidate has raised a query about an exam question, how do I let EAL know?
Please make a note of the candidate name and number and question number on the Supervision Report. Please send this, with the Attendance Register and an explanation of the query to the Exams Team, contact email@example.com.
Please do not note the question or take pictures.
14. When entering the Keycode I am getting the message "Invalid Keycode: OFFLINE - There was an error validating the Keycode"
Please check you have a connection to the internet. A bandwidth of 2mb/s or greater is recommended.
If you can't find the answer you are looking for contact our Customer Experience team on 01923 652400 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.